Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Pill for Changes

Hey there blog world! I’m on my last day off, back to work tomorrow. Boo! What I thought I would do today is follow on from yesterday’s blog about the contraceptive pill. In my quest to find out why my smear results came out as they did and as abnormal results, I started to ask myself “Did me being on the pill affect my smear test result?”


When I went on the pill and for the years that I was on it, I had no idea that studies have shown that it depletes/wastes away Folic Acid and Vitamin B6. And this is now common knowledge amongst health professionals. All the time I was on it and going for my repeat prescriptions at no point did the nurse taking my blood pressure and weighing me at the six monthly intervals say, “Clover, are you aware you need to supplement these vitamins?” Considering that I’m a dirty, filthy smoker and am aware that in smoking I am killing the majority of Vitamin C I intake, thus, I’d have been happy to have taken some ‘vital B’s’ with my C.

They know that being on the pill you have an increased risk of Cervical Cancer. They know that being on the pill destroys vitamins that are necessary in red blood cell production and cell structure. So would being on the pill affect pap/smear test results? My personal opinion is yes, I think it does. Considering what Cervical Cancer is (fact that it is cell changes) + intake of something that changes cells = abnormal smear results. This is what I worked out in my mind at least. Would every woman on the pill have this? I don’t think so. I think that in some woman, the changes vary or take a different amount of time person to person to evolve to such and in some, may not even happen at all.

But Cervical Cancer is only caused by HPV right? LIE! If Cervical Cancer is only caused by HPV then ask yourself, why are you nicely informed that when you go on the pill you have an increased risk of suffering from Cervical Cancer? I’ve read a lot of stuff in the last few weeks and one thing I spotted was the way a lot of things are worded. Okay check this out, this is a direct quote off of the BUPA website in the section What Causes Cervical Cancer: “The main cause of cervical cancer is the human papilloma virus (HPV).” Now, at first read you go over that and you think to yourself “My gods I must have HPV! How did that happen?” but wait a minute girlfriend! That says “The MAIN cause…” so not THE cause. Not THE ONLY cause. Main. As in there are other causes. BUPA’s website later goes on to list more but write it as “Risk factors of cervical cancer include:”. Only “risk factors”? Surely you mean “other causes”! Fancy a read for yourself? Their site is: http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/c/cervical-cancer

The bottom line is that I now know there is so much about the pill we are not told. So many ‘good’ benefits that are voiced so loud and over the bad. And as for Cervical Cancer? I feel too often it is shrugged off as there being little to no chance that a pharmaceutical company is responsible for cocktailing a medicine that’s bad for you.

But how bad is the pill and what are you not being told? That is for my next blog entry…

No comments:

Post a Comment