Thursday 8 December 2011

How To Know Organic Products

How do you know something is Organic? This is something that I asked myself in making the change to Organic food. I looked around so much, got a headache and finally found what I was looking for! What I was looking for are these two markers:-


These two labels are what you should look for if you live in the UK. BEWARE that your organic product is not just “containing organic ingredients”. I saw that a lot while looking for food and I see it a lot still. Also, keep in mind that "free range" does not necessarily mean organic! If it doesn't say organic on the package and it is not certified then its NOT organic! But what are those labels? What do they mean?

When you see them, what it means is the way that food or ingredients in that product were grown is totally organic. The first one is Soil Association and they are one of the biggest organic certifiers. The second is the EU Organic logo for Europa. There are a number of other organic certifying bodies in the UK so what you also want to look for is their serial number, for example, it will say “UK2” or “UK3” etc. A helpful page to visit is the DEFRA site (Department for Environmental Food and RuralAffairs). You can see a whole list on this page of the certifying bodies and their certified numbers (link in the DEFRA name).

No comments:

Post a Comment